8 June 2013

Stuck in fifth gear, Film and Interview.



On my very first day on this last May trip, with the very first person I had arranged to meet,
after we took a few pictures and sat down, I turned my mic on for the for the first time.
I had never interviewed someone before.
I asked the first question I had prepared*. The first answer I received was:

'This is a very good question'.

After landing back in the UK, processing the films and scanning some quick contact prints, I scanned my first portrait on Wednesday (three days ago).
When people know themselves thoroughly and know what they stand for, they have a tendency to not 'display' in front of the lens (the word I'm thinking of in French is 'parade').
They just are, with no false modesty or mask. It's very rare.
There is something very honest about how they look at the lens. They let you look at them, they really do, maybe because they have looked there first.
More importantly at this moment in time, there is something in the open, bare, but firm stare of the sitter I happen to scan first, the luck I had with the light that day, that ticked a box in my mind. It confirmed somewhere between my brain and my heart that I was right to persevere with Giving Peace Faces.

Yosre Slamen



As always, working with films proves rewarding but risky.
For all the advantages and precious lucky details I could get, one sitter could officially get an award for the most unlucky sitter I ever had… The film wasn't loaded properly (and I will definitely though shamefully admit this would appear to be my fault more than my very preciously tempered camera's fault...), resulting in a big hole in the only inside shot I have of the poor fellow (due to the processing method). But the four shots we took outside, and I distinctively remember a delicate profile on the blurred, hot street, are simply nowhere to be found. The film is simply blank where it shouldn't.
Not complaining though. I'll just have to meet him again when I go to carry on shooting the series.



In three days I scanned what I thought would keep me busy for the whole months of July August and September, I'm on the ninth film on a total of twenty.
As I also work part time, either I am on fifth gear and this would explain my sudden habit of falling asleep on the parks on the way home from scanning, or I just planned my time a little bit like my aunt plans food for a meal ( way, way too much).



*'Where are your parents and grand-parents from?'

No comments:

Post a Comment